FAQ Slip Testing Questions

Do we need to conduct a slip test within our amenities at our premises?

A slip test provides an audit of the slip resistance at a given point of time. We suggest to test these areas as they are not covered by CCTV and generally have a different cleaning regime in place compared to other areas of the property. Shopping Centres, Airports, Schools, Office buildings; businesses that have amenities for the public to use, generally take this approach.

Can you do a slip test of my swimming pool surrounds?

Yes. Retirement villages and residential strata companies typically would require a slip test for their insurance requirements.

Does a slip test affect my insurance for the property?

Insurance companies typically conduct risk assessments of the property when providing insurance. A slip test in accordance to the AS would generally be taken into consideration by the insurance company as part of their review of the risk profile of the individual property. 

I lease my premises from the landlord. What about my shop areas in my café?

We suggest conducting a slip test in the back of house areas, cool room, loading dock, shop entrance and front of house areas for customers. Refer to your insurance provider for further advice and the lease agreement with your landlord. 

How frequently should I conduct a slip test in my food court area in my building?

Cleaning regimes and wear on the floor surfaces in food court areas are typically characterise as being different to the common mall area. We suggest the slip testing process be reflective of the risk profile for the food court compared to the other common mall areas of the building. Refer to your insurance provider for further advice. 

My cool-room has a non-slip floor installed. Why do I need slip testing in this area?

Cool rooms & cold store areas are no different to other areas of the business. Constant wear and tear on the surface over time will change the characteristics of the original installed flooring. By understanding the slip resistance of the floor will assist you in whether you should take further action on the existing flooring or not. 

My fresh fruit & vegetables on display often fall to the floor, inadvertently dropped by my customer. Should I do a slip-test in my shop?

We recommend conducting a slip test in the areas where the public walk through and associated back of house areas where staff work and traverse. While most fruit and vegetable businesses have risk management procedures in place associated to the risk, a slip test of the floor surface at a given point of time will assist the business in demonstrating your risk for your customers and staff. 

Should we conduct a slip test on our pedestrian crossings and other markings in my car park?

Typically, markings within car parks are designed to assist with pedestrian traffic movements, within these defined zones. Car park areas are no different to other areas of the property and are typically expose to the weather. We suggest conducting a slip test in these areas on a regular basis. Refer to your insurance provider for further advice.  

How frequently should we conduct a slip test for my property?

Generally, the frequency of the slip testing will vary from property to property, be subject to your own risk review, your risk management practices of the asset and advice from your insurance provider. In managing risk in today’s environment, for the relatively small financial amount to conduct a slip test, you have completed the 1st step in understanding the slip-resistance of your property and the associated risks involved.

What areas of my building shall I conduct a wet or dry slip test?

Generally speaking, the wet pendulum tests are used for external areas and those areas of the building where there is a likelihood of the surface being contaminated by rain, typically in the ingress/egress of the defined customer pathways. Dry testing via a floor friction tester, are used on internal and smooth areas which are typically presented in dry scenario. Refer to your insurance provider for further details.